[extropy-chat] something rather than nothing

Heartland velvethum at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 6 04:26:53 UTC 2007

Jeffrey:
>> If you imagine the "condition" of nothingness where...

gts:
> Problem for me is, I cannot imagine nothing no matter what conditions you
> might try to ascribe to it.
>
> T'aint possible for anyone to imagine nothing, I say, because to imagine
> anything is to imagine something. And any kind of something is not nothing.

I don't think imagining something is a necessary condition for that something to
exist. Nothing does not become something just because imagining nothing is
something in itself. I doubt our thoughts have the power to influence reality.

It's easy for me to imagine nothingness (absence of everything). That doesn't mean
that nothingness is even possible. Again, thoughts alone do not appear to alter
physical laws or whether they exist or not.

But that is obviously different from "subjective nothingness" which is not only
possible but happens all the time when our brains disintegrate. I see no reason to
doubt that subjective experience after death is not equivalent to subjective
experience at potential nothingness.

H.