[extropy-chat] Top 1%

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Mar 6 14:43:17 UTC 2007

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 03:27:50PM +0100, Anders Sandberg wrote:

> Sure they can! Just select the top 1% of the people applying to you, and
> you can honestly say you have hired the top 1%. Who cares that it is not

But that's not what they're claiming, of course.

> the *overall* 1%? :-)
>
> Assuming everybody pulls equally strongly, we should expect that the most

One hell of an assumption. Top talent chooses *very* carefully where it
is going.

> brilliant minds are most likely to work in the largest companies. So there

Not necessarily, depends on the distribution. You're probably correct, though.

> ought to be 76,000/17,787 = 4.27 times more brilliant minds at Microsoft
> than Apple. Google ought to have 0.14 times the number of geniuses as
> Apple. IBM 4.68 times more than Microsoft. However, I doubt the pulling

My guess is that they're neither at Microsoft, Google, Apple, or IBM.

> equally strongly assumption is true. But given the rarity of extreme
> talent and that it may be tricky to reliably attract I still think the
> size does matter - the law of large numbers almost always wins.
>
> Whether the top 1% actually help much is another matter.

At least in IT there is a very large difference between top talent and
merely average.