[extropy-chat] something rather than nothing

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 22:51:46 UTC 2007

On 3/6/07, A B <austriaaugust at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Although if one wanted to be pedantic about it, one
> might argue that even mathematics cannot exist in the
> void of nothingness, but only as a product of creation
> so to speak. I hope perpetuating this thread doesn't
> annoy too many people :-)

is that void the absense of something, or the something in potential?

if something is that which is known, and it's opposite (nothing) is
the unknown - can that which is unknown be explored to give rise to
new realms of the knowable?  In that case the void would represent
potential for something to become manifest, while at the same time be
defined as what remains unknown after some potential is made 'real'

clearly, it doesn't annoy me.