[extropy-chat] FWD: [Venturists] Our Share of Night to Bear

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Fri Mar 9 19:30:44 UTC 2007

Well, this brought tears to my eyes! From Mike Darwin about a remarkable
woman, Marcelon Johnson.

Amara

Begin forwarded message:

From: david pizer <pizerdavid at yahoo.com>
Date: 9 March 2007 3:12:55 AM GMT-02:00
To: DAVID PIZER <pizerdavid at yahoo.com>
Subject: [Venturists] Our Share of Night to Bear

Here is a report by Mike Darwin about a cryonicists worst nightmare.
Except this is real and it is happening now. I hope after you read
this you will choose to help as soon as possible. David Pizer, for
the Venturists.
   =====================================
   Our Share of Night to Bear
   Our share of night to bear -
   Our share of morning -
   Our blank in bliss to fill -
   Our blank in scorning -
   Here a star, and there a star,
   Some lose their way!
   Here a mist, there a mist,
   Afterwards - Day!
     -- Emily Dickinson
   Cryonics. What does the word bring to mind? What other words? What
images? What feelings? What people? For me there are a lifetime of
words and images, emotions and people. It is 1968 and I am
13-years-old. I have just come home from school on a cold gray winter
afternoon and I am eagerly reaching into the mailbox through the fog
of my breath hoping that there will be another issue of Cryonics
Reports there.
   When do you date the start of cryonics? Is it 1962 when the first
steps to disseminate the idea were taken? Is it 1964 when Robert
Ettinger's book The Prospect of Immortality was commercially
published? Or, was it in 1967 when the idea seemed realized with the
freezing of the first man, Dr. James H. Bedford in Glendale,
California?
   Those dates, or any others you choose, speak to both your knowledge
and your perception of history. Forty-three years have passed since
1964 - 45-years since 1962. Almost all of the men and women who
created cryonics were of the same ages most of you reading this are
now - mid-20s to mid-40s. Dr. Greg Fahy, I, and perhaps a few others,
were much younger when we were seduced by the idea of a world without
death. Cryonics was already a central part of our world by 1968. It
was a world we shared with people, most of whom have grown old and
died, or are dying. I use the word "died" with painful deliberateness
because if you go back in time, or simply go to the pages of the
cryonics newsletters and magazines of those days and follow the
histories of the people whose names appear there, you will find that
most are dead. Dead - not cryopreserved, not cryogenically interred,
not even in cryonic suspension. To almost everyone who reads this
they are just names now; the rich
  details of who they were are gone, presumably forever.
   When I (very rarely these days) walk amongst the cryonicists of the
present I am haunted by the familiarity of it all. Your voices, your
faces, your words, your dreams, your expectations, they are really no
different than those of the dead who preceded you and who wanted what
you want, and expected what you expect. I see them in you and you in
them because it is impossible to do otherwise. And so, I make a
prediction: most of those cryonicists around you now will also pass
away into death, and in so doing will forever take a part of you with
them. This is a fearsome thing to say, but it is true, because
whether the 'Singularity' comes tomorrow, or there is control of
aging in 30 years, most of those now living will die. This is so
because chance as much as choice decides who lives and who dies.
Neither is omnipotent, but each has its undeniable and inescapable
role. Plan as carefully as you will, but understand that the real
world is a dynamic and unpredictable engine of
  destruction. The best laid plans of men are oft for naught - and we
are still men. Do not forget that either - we are still mortal.
   It is early in January of 1964 and in Huntington Beach, Californa a
34-year-old housewife named Marcelon Johnson has just finished
filling out her cryonics paperwork, paid her first cryonics society
dues, and dropped her application for a Medic-Alert bracelet in the
mail. She has six children and a busy, happy, life which has just
gotten better because she now believes, for the first time, that she
might never have to die. She is haunted by the death of her mother
who was in her mid-50s when she succumbed to Alzheimer's disease. She
does not want to die that way, or any other way, for that matter.
   Within a year Marcelon Johnson, or "Marce" as she is known to her
friends, would become increasingly involved in cryonics. By March of
1967, 3 months after Dr. Bedford began the journey which he continues
to this day, Marce Johnson was the Secretary-Treasurer of the
Cryonics Society of California (CSC). She opened her home to cryonics
meetings and catered them superbly. She answered countless
information requests and filled countless orders for books and
literature. On October 11, 1972 Marce reluctantly accepted the
Presidency of CSC, not suspecting that she had stepped into a
nightmare that would go on for almost eight years. Russ Stanley, who
had welcomed Marce to her first cryonics meeting on September 30th in
1966, had been frozen for 5 years. Two of the other pioneering CSC
members whom she had met and befriended were also in "cryonic
suspension" at CSC's Cryonic Interment Facility in Chatsworth, CA.
   In the 45 years she has been actively involved in cryonics I have
never heard anyone say a bad thing about Marce Johnson. That is an
extraordinary achievement for anyone involved in cryonics, but it is
made all the more extraordinary by the fact that Marce was the de
facto President of CSC when it came to light in 1979 that all of the
patients in the Chatsworth facility had been allowed to thaw and
decompose. No, Marce had no complicity in that horror beyond that of
being loyal and trusting. The very qualities that made Marce an
exceptional human being, her readiness to help, her willingness to
trust the words of a friend and colleague, and her quiet and nearly
unshakeable loyalty had set her up to be in the crosshairs of the
litigation and enmity that followed.
   The very public disintegration of CSC was not only financially
costly to Marce and her husband Walt (not to mention their 6
children), it was a deep personal humiliation and loss. Three of the
people who had welcomed her into cryonics were now gone - lost to a
gruesome and disgraceful fate. There was no immortality for them; in
fact, there was not even the dignity of a decent burial. Many of the
people who were cohorts of Marce at that time walked away from
cryonics and never looked back - and most of them are dead now, or
are beyond help in nursing homes, or dependent upon their indifferent
children. I have watched as those who died passed, and I have spoken
with those who remain, helpless and dying. Chatsworth was not a
pretty business.
   Marce Johnson did not walk away. She joined Alcor, and at a very
bad time for Alcor in 1981, she quietly pulled me aside at a meeting
and asked me if I would assume the Presidency of Alcor. I didn't know
Marce very well then and I was completely taken aback. I was even
more surprised when Marce told me that she was asking this of me
because she had seen her cryonics organization fail before and she
had not known what was happening until it was too late. This time she
was not going to stay silent. So, it came to pass that I did become
the President of Alcor later that year, and it was largely due to the
quiet initiative of Marce Johnson.
   Over the next ten years Marce hosted more Alcor meetings than
anyone else has before or since. She and her husband Walt were a
dependable source of contributions, and Marce would often make the 2
hour drive (each way) from Huntington Beach to Fullerton to help with
various volunteer activities at Alcor. Her gentle, intellectual
decency served as a welcome beacon of normality and warmth at
cryonics get-togethers that were often marred by partisanship and
extremes. Marce's home was one of the least conveniently located in
Southern California, but the meetings she hosted there were among the
best attended.
   In 1985 Alcor faced a seemingly insurmountable crisis. For 7 years
Alcor had been the guest of Cryovita Laboratories in Fullerton,
California. Cryovita was the creation of cryonics pioneer Jerry Leaf
and it was a costly drain on Jerry and his family. Jerry not only
paid the rent on the facility in Fullerton, he covered all the other
operating expenses out of his pocket, including the liability
insurance required by the landlord. In the early 1980s the explosion
of litigation in California and elsewhere resulted in skyrocketing
premiums for basic business liability coverage. By 1985 coverage at
any price was no longer available for businesses with a high, or
impossible to estimate degree of risk. Alcor, and thus Cryovita,
became uninsurable and with that came the inevitable edict from the
landlord to vacate the premises.
   With the help of a long-time friend of Alcor, Reg Thatcher, a
potential solution was identified. A small park of industrial
buildings was going to be built in nearby Riverside, California with
completion expected in about 10 months. We negotiated with the
landlord and began trying to raise the impossible sum of $150,000
plus closing and other costs. I had from April 4th to June 20th, 986
to do just that - a little over two months. At $149,000 I stalled
out. All the deep pockets had been tapped and the Life Extension
Foundation was locked in a battle with the FDA for its survival, as
well as for the personal freedom of Saul Kent and Bill Falloon, both
of whom faced decades in prison. Alcor had approximately 100 members
in 1986, and finding the additional $5,000 in cash required to cover
the closing costs appeared hopeless. As it was, an additional $37,500
had already been pledged to cover the 2-year note carried by the
developer. When Marce heard of this situation she
  quietly opened hers and Walt's check book and wrote out a check for $5,000.
   In the years that followed, Marce was always there for cryonics and
it wasn't easy. She and Walt had had to buy life insurance late in
life and the premiums were punishing, even for neuro. Sometime around
1997 Marce asked me to meet her for lunch in Huntigton Beach. That
was an unusual request, but one which I was happy to oblige. It was
an unexpectedly emotional and difficult meeting. As we sat in a
little Italian restaurant in an anonymous strip mall Marce repeated
the story of her mother's death and asked me to promise that I would
not abandon her should such a fate befall her. She told me a number
of deeply personal things and she asked me to dispose of some
unfinished business should I outlive her. It was easy to say yes.
Marce was healthy and had every prospect of living many years longer
in good health. It takes extraordinary courage to confront not only
your own mortality, but also the prospect of closing your life in the
darkness of dementia. Nothing in my
  experience of Marce as a relentlessly positive and optimistic person
had prepared me for that meeting.

   In 2001 I was alerted by Joan O'Farrel of Critical Care Research
that Marce seemed both forgetful and inappropriate on the phone
(Marce was, as usual, doing volunteer work, this time for Critical
Care Research (CCR) and 21st Century Medicine). A call to Walt
confirmed Joan's suspicions and shortly thereafter Dr. Steve Harris
and I visited Marce, and Steve did a thorough exam, including an
assessment for Alzheimer's. Marce did well on this assessment, but
Steve suggested she go to the Memory Clinic at UCLA for a more
comprehensive evaluation. Shortly thereafter, I left CCR and began
what was unarguably the second most difficult period in my life. I
tried to call Walt and Marce over the following 2 years and always
ended up getting Marce's voice on their answering machine. In the
chaos that was my life at that time I had neither the inclination nor
the ability, truth to tell, to worry about anyone but myself and my
partner. Finally, in 2003 Walt picked up the phone and we
  talked. I learned that Marce had been placed in a nursing home some
months prior, and that she had moderately advanced Alzheimer's.
   That news was devastating enough, but what followed shook me to the
core of my being. Walt told me that Marce no longer had cryonics
arrangements and that she was to be cremated. I visited Marce twice
in the subsequent months and found her still oriented enough to
recognize me and carry on a very basic conversation. From these two
visits I learned that Marce still believed she was going to be
cryopreserved and that she felt that she had done something wrong,
perhaps by getting sick, which had caused her cryonics friends to
stop coming to see her. I learned that Saul Kent had been down to see
her and Walt and to try to get Walt to reinstate Marce's
arrangements, but to no avail. Walt had never been a cryonicist and
his concern was, understandably, with ensuring that Marce got top
quality nursing home care. Walt and Marce were confronted with "spend
down" in the face of monthly nursing home bills of over $5,000.
Medicare does not begin to cover these expenses until the
  patient has $2,000 or less in total assets - not even enough for
burial. Marce's and Walt's cryonics insurance policies had been
cashed-out and used for her nursing home care.
   In the four years that have come and gone since then I have
continued to try to find some way to rescue Marce from this
situation. Marce did everything right, everything that cryonics
organizations asked her to do, including giving them ownership of her
policy. Unfortunately, Marce fell ill just as CryoCare was closing
down and she never had the opportunity to transfer her arrangements
to the Cryonics Institute, or Alcor.
   Recently, Dave Pizer of the Venturists stepped forward to organize
a fund raising effort for Marce. Dave believed, as I did, that the
primary obstacle to getting Marce cryopreservation arrangements was
money, not any unwillingness on Walt's part. A few days ago Walt
confirmed this by consenting to have Marce cryopreserved at CI when
the time comes. CI graciously agreed to accept Marce as a member and
her future now rests on the ability of the Venturists to raise the
$35,000 required to cover CI's costs and to transport Marce to CI
from Southern California.
   Of the twenty or so people who attended that original LES meeting
at the home of Russ Stanley in 1966, only Marce Johnson, Greg Fahy,
and Robert Nelson remain alive. The others have all perished, some at
Chatsworth, some later. Nothing can be done for them, but Marce
endures, and she still has some chance of rescue. Marce's situation
is now extremely tenuous. She has been moved to a highly skilled
nursing facility a short distance from her home in Huntington Beach.
Death could come at any time.
   Marce asked me to help her, to stand by her, and to never abandon
her. The burden of that ready and unreservedly made commitment has
proved far heavier than I ever imagined possible. I ask you, on
behalf of all that Marce has done to make cryonics possible for you,
please, please help her.
   Mike Darwin
   March 8, 2007
   The Venturists are trying to raise the money to pay for Marce's
suspension. Please make your check to "The Venturists" mail it to:
The Venturists, C/O The Creekside Lodge, 11255 State Route 69, Mayer
Arizona 86333. Please feel free to copy this article and pass it on
to anyone else you think might want to help. All contributions are
tax deductable. Thank you, David Pizer for The Society for Venturism.

--

Amara Graps, PhD      www.amara.com
INAF Istituto di Fisica dello Spazio Interplanetario (IFSI), Roma, ITALIA