[extropy-chat] limits of computer feeling

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 09:32:19 UTC 2007

In animals, the maximum intensity of sensations is limited by various active
and passive mechanisms, such as depletion of neurotransmitter, inhibitory
neuron activity, and the total number of neurons available. If consciousness
is Turing emulable, could we overcome such limits by increasing a parameter
in the program or rewriting a few subroutines? If we could, it would mean
that the intensity of pleasure or pain experienced by an AI could increase
without bound.

Stathis Papaioannou