[extropy-chat] cryonicist living life in reverse

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 22:53:15 UTC 2007

Stathis writes

> there is no difference between living your life forward and living your
> life in reverse, provided that each expereince is exactly
> the same at each moment in each case,  e.g. you don't remember being 40
> when you are 20. It is like imagining that you swap places
> with George Bush: if you remember being you when you are him then
> something interesting has happened, but if you instantaneously
> swap over his body and mind for your body and mind, then no-one will
> notice any difference, and in fact it could have happened while
> you read the last sentence.
> <
>
> How do you know that consciousness (and hence benefit over a life worth
> living)
> isn't dependent on entropy increase?
>
> Yes, I know that computations can be made reversible, but until a lot more
> is
> known about all this, I'll have my computations run in the forward
> direction
> with entropy increase, thank you.

The "real world" could run forwards while your mind runs backwards. Imagine
a virtual reality program is written with your entire life mapped out,
broken up into intervals. Each subprogram thus created will contain memories
of "past" intervals but not "future" intervals. The point is, if these
programs were run forwards, backwards or all jumbled up, you would not be
able to tell that anything unusual had happened from within the program.

Stathis Papaioannou