[extropy-chat] limits of computer feeling

Anna Taylor femmechakra at yahoo.ca
Mon Mar 12 06:58:33 UTC 2007

--- Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:

Suppose you have the choice between driving to work or
riding a bicycle to work. Normally, you would choose
to drive, because even though the bicycle has
advantages, it gets you places slower and sweatier.
However, if you had access to the source code of your
mind, you could simply adjust things so that the
pleasure you get from the bicycle outweighs the
inconvenience. Thus, everyone wins: you enjoy yourself
more than driving the car, even though it's more
effort, and you get to exercise and help the
environment in the process. Sure, you could have got
the same pleasure by staying at home, but the extra
work at least need not *detract* from pleasure. If
it's just as much fun doing nothing or achieving some
goal, you could nudge up the pleasure associated with
achieving the goal.

Anna:
I have to mention that I find your examples quite
interesting and motivating.

Stathis: regarding:
However, if you had access to the source code of your
mind, you could simply adjust things so that the
pleasure you get from the bicycle outweighs the
inconvenience.

Anna:
If I had access to my own source code I could simply
change everything about myself that I didn't like.
It would be as easy as flipping a switch.  It would
seem like a walk in the park.

Stathis:
You could alter your mind so that you don't want to do
this. People deny themselves pleasures all the time in
pursuit of some supergoal, constantly struggling
against temptation. How much easier would it be if you
could just switch off a craving for cigarettes or sex
or whatever? You could even set a mental timer: I will
indulge in ecstasy for 100 years, then abstain for 100
years, and while abstinent I will have no desire to
indulge.

Anna:
I think 100 years is a rather long time frame but I
appreciate what you meant.  I believe that you can
alter your mind state if you choose.  Describing how
to do just that is very difficult. Any personal
experiences that I can relate with?

Thanks Stathis. I hope you continue to post to the
Extropy Chat, I enjoy your posts.

Have a great day!
Anna:)