[extropy-chat] limits of computer feeling

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Mon Mar 12 15:10:45 UTC 2007

Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> Wrote:

> Most addicts say they wish they weren't addicts.

So just turn a knob, now you have changed your mind, and I do mean CHANGED
YOUR MIND. Now you think being a drug addict is the noblest most fulfilling
most enjoyable profession that is conceivable. So you think my idea is
stupid, no problem, just turn another knob, now you think my idea is
absolutely brilliant.

Complex mechanisms just don't do well in positive feedback loops, not
electronics, not animals, not people, not ET's, and not even Jupiter brains.

> I think people would rather choose to be happy doing something they feel
> is worthwhile than something useless.

That is certainly the case today, but my point is that may not always be
true. Doing something worthwhile is more difficult and thus rarer than the
trivial, it follows that to maximize pleasure you should get it from the
trivial not the profound.

Wow! Look at that pretty red rubber ball bounce up and down, it's marvelous!
1,2,3,4...

John K Clark

PS: I wish people would stop including quotes of quotes of quotes of quotes.
If this tread goes on much longer responses will be completely unreadable.