[extropy-chat] PJ's quotes and email clients

Alejandro Dubrovsky alito at organicrobot.com
Tue Mar 13 10:35:01 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 19:46 -0700, Lee Corbin wrote:
> BillK writes
>
> >> Actually, what I see is worse than that, because although the quoted
> >> lines do wrap, they run all the way across the screen first, so the
> >> screen is wall-to-wall wordage.
> >>
> >> Must be a Eudora weakness. Curses.
> >
> > If it's any comfort, pj's article quoting formatting is lost in the
> > exi-chat archives also.
> >
> > See:
> > <http://lists.extropy.org/pipermail/extropy-chat/2007-March/033347.html>
> >
> > So there is some funny stuff going on when she does 'copy and paste'
> > to insert an article into her email. Gmail can handle it OK. But
> > obviously the mail archive software and Eudora can't.
>
> Carumba!   This has risen to a REAL PROBLEM.  What is really going
> on???    What is it about some quotations that the archive software and
> Eudora can't handle?

My sarcasm detector is currently broken, so I'll reply to that as if it
was a sincere question.  The message that PJ sent was base-64 encoded,
with no newlines inside her paragraphs, so probably breaking some
standard by outputting 200 character lines.   Some client programs seem
not to autowrap.

> If we cannot solve it, should one insert extra lines in quoted material?
> We have to do something.

I recommend we panic.