[extropy-chat] cryonicist living life in reverse

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Mar 14 09:41:20 UTC 2007

On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 08:25:41PM +1100, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

>    Yes, yes. There's not just the computation to consider, there is also
>    the observer or the environment. But what if the computation *is* the
>    observer and the environment, dreaming away with no external
>    interaction?

It doesn't matter, you still have to do the computation. Enumerating
all possible states requires an infinite computer. There is no evidence
for any such thing. Even if you had such a thing, it is not obvious that
observers self select the states, magically picking slices out of sequence.

The Life cellular automaton is an all-purpose computer. It means
it can contain observers and a virtual world. What does hash Life
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=VWP&q=hash+life&btnG=Search
mean to the observer trajectory?

You certainly can't talk to a nonlinearly evolving critter, because
you need a contiguous piece of trajectory to map input and output
to. So I don't see how you can validate the subjective experience.

The target state being the same due to computation shortcut is not
dynamics. If you select subsequent targets, you're falling back
to the conventional implementation.

This is a simple model system, it should be trivial to reason about it.
I don't have the time, anyone feels to rise up to the challenge?