[extropy-chat] The Lopez War (War of the Triple Alliance)

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Thu Mar 15 01:49:53 UTC 2007

Keith quoted a 1965 book [Kolinski  (1965) p. 198], and I got my figures
from the Encyclopedia of Military History (Dupey and Dupey, 1986).

Here is what wikipedia has:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Triple_Alliance

"The outcome of the war was utter Paraguayan defeat. After the Triple Alliance defeated Paraguay in conventional warfare, the
conflict turned into a drawn-out guerrilla-style resistance that would devastate the Paraguayan population, both military and
civilian. One estimate places total Paraguayan losses - through both war and disease - as high as 1.2 million people, or 90% of its
pre-war population.[2][3] A perhaps more accurate estimate places Paraguayan deaths at approximately 300,000 people out of its
500,000 to 525,000 prewar inhabitants.[4] "

Lee