[extropy-chat] Mullis

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Mar 16 22:36:39 UTC 2007

At 09:42 PM 3/16/2007 +0000, BillK wrote:

>On 3/16/07, Damien Broderick wrote:
> > I now
> > await the character assassination this will attract to Mullis, as it
> > has already to Josephson.
>
>Oh dear. Please don't quote Mullis as a reference.
>
>No need for a character assassination. He does it himself.

My comment was, of course, ever so faintly tongue in cheek. On the
other hand, common attacks on Mullis are not the kind that would
necessarily be prized (as it were) on this list:

>He thought OJ Simpson was innocent

Wikipedia glosses this:
<Mullis became known to a wider public as a potential forensic DNA
analyst and witness for the defense in the O.J. Simpson murder case.
News coverage of Mullis, his activities and his background was
extensive. The defense moved to prevent a cross-examination of his
personal life including "social relationships, domestic discord and
use of  controlled substances." >

Oh no! Not *controlled substances*! You can see what kind of deranged
lunatic this must be. (I, naturally, have myself very rarely inhaled.)

>Also see
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kary_Mullis>
>where the controversy about his Nobel prize is discussed.

He had a great idea. Some other people had inklings of the great idea
too. Boo hoo. His team didn't get to share the prize. Well, I have
sympathy for that view, being a low communitarian anarchist rather
than a studly libertarian like many on this list, but hey, it's the
way the Nobel Prize was set up. Boo hoo.

Bill makes some good points. But: This guy has had some odd
experiences and some odd ideas. One side-consequence of being a
creative genius.

Damien Broderick