[extropy-chat] DARPA Ends Brain Reverse Engineering Project

Ben Goertzel ben at goertzel.org
Sat Mar 17 13:50:41 UTC 2007

The one team I know well, that was funded under this project, was
building more of a cognitive science inspired AI architecture than a
detailed brain emulation.  They may not have been representative though.

But note the wishy washy language of "biologically INSPIRED cognitive
architectures."   (BICA)

It's sorta like then a TV show claims to be "Inspired by actual
events."  This is weaker than "Based on a true story"  ;-p

We certain don't have the brain mapping tools to understand how the
brain works in any detail at this point.  We don't know how the brain
represents the concept of "cat" let alone "cats are animals" let alone
more complex declarative, procedural or episodic knowledge.  So we
cannot create "Based on a true story" cognitive architectures, only
"Inspired by actual events" architectures ;-) ...

Ben G