[extropy-chat] Precognition

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 18 17:42:06 UTC 2007

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 01:45:52 -0400, Stathis Papaioannou
<stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:

> If ESP were possible, it would be as useful as a sense like vision, if
> not more so,and we should expect to see evidence of it everywhere in
> nature, just as vision has
> evolved independently many times.

I'm a skeptic about this subject too, but I'm afraid I don't find your
argument above very convincing. It is at least conceivable that ESP is a
brand new experiment of evolution.

ESP *might* be present now but at such low frequency that we can't yet
determine it to be real with p < .05 or with p < .01 (or with p at
whatever is your preferred threshold of statistical significance, which is
after all only a matter of convention).

Reminds me of the old song lyrics: "This is [or at least it might be] the
Dawning of the Age of Aquarius." :-)

-gts