[extropy-chat] Precognition

Ben Goertzel ben at goertzel.org
Sun Mar 18 22:00:41 UTC 2007

These arguments against psi on evolutionary grounds seem very silly to me.

Obviously, if psi is real, it is a weak effect in humans and other
biological systems.

One could just as well argue "if magnetic homing is real, why isn't it
used by all animals instead of just by a few species?"  Indeed, the
magnetic homing sense that some birds have would be useful for humans
and lots of other animals

but only a few animals have evolved it.  Because of its limitations.  We
don't know what psi's limitations are, but if it's real, they are
apparently very severe under familiar conditions involving biological
systems.  Presumably, once we understood psi better, we would be able to
rationalize why it didn't evolve as a broader and more powerful force.

-- Ben