[extropy-chat] Precognition

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 19 16:11:23 UTC 2007

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 21:14:34 -0400, Stathis Papaioannou
<stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:

> It would actually be easier to accept that ESP is possible, but simply
> hasn't evolved yet in humans, if there were no claims that people today
> have it.

But of course it's not very likely we would be considering the question if
there were no claims that people have it.

I would suppose the majority of people have a story or two to tell about
uncanny coincidences that seem to demand paranormal explanations. I
certainly do, and they are the only reasons I haven't shut my mind
completely to the possibility. I call these strange occurrences
"synchronicities," a term I think I borrowed from David Bohm's theory
about an 'implicate order'.

However in my case the anecdotal evidence is growing aged... nothing so
bizarre as to challenge conventional explanation has happened in my life
in about the last 20 years. Over that time I have grown more cynical, such
that I now count myself a skeptic on this subject. Yet, when I think back
on those strange occurrences, they still manage to send chills up my spine.

Damien, perhaps your forthcoming book will bring me back 'round to the
other side. :) I haven't done any reading in this subject since I was a
kid, mainly because I lost faith that any of the authors or researchers
could be trusted. However I've read enough of your posts in recent years
to grant you credibility. I trust you would never intentionally lead your
readers astray merely to make a buck. Looking forward to the book!

-gts