[extropy-chat] limits of computer feeling

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 01:11:46 UTC 2007

On 3/20/07, Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe that we are in evolutionary disequilibrium caused by
> evolution of language, and more recently the complex societies capable
> of supporting science. The changes in our environment are profound,
> and therefore most of what our genes tell us to do on a daily basis
> are actions that are totally maladaptive as measured by the fitness
> function. It took only a few decades (invention of the condom, later
> the contraceptive pill, ) to sever the connection between the vast
> majority of sexual acts and procreation - conventional mammalian
> evolution may take centuries to reshape our minds around this
> development. But, unless evolution itself is abrogated (by a singleton
> AI or other mechanisms), the relevant alleles will be eventually
> removed, bringing the minds into equilibrium again.

What would it mean to abrogate evolution? Arguably it has already happened:
we are more concerned with our happiness, which for evolution is just a
means to an end, rather than for example maximising family size. Economic
and technological success has taken over as the main driving force of our
species, and the time-honoured natural selection driving genetic change has
more or less stopped. If the weather gets colder, those humans who survive
will be the ones who can build warmer habitats, not those who are hairier.

Stathis Papaioannou