[extropy-chat] LA Times book review: I Am a Strange Loop - Hofstadter

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Tue Mar 20 18:19:01 UTC 2007

On 3/20/07, pjmanney <pj at pj-manney.com> wrote:
> Hello All --
>
> It will be obvious why I posted this.  Hofstadter is writing about consciousness and empathy.  Any one read this book yet?

I've had it on order for months and the release date keeps getting
pushed back.  Currently expected to ship from Amazon May 19-22.

It's a must-read for me, simply because his Gödel, Escher, Bach
continues to stand as the most inspirational book I've ever read.

In his new book he tries to convey the simple, but oh so difficult
concept that "self" is a "strange loop" -- a pattern that is able to
look back at itself.  I'm anticipating buying copies as gifts for
those with whom I tend to debate this concept.

- Jef