[extropy-chat] SpaceX launch attempt later today

Brian Atkins brian at posthuman.com
Thu Mar 22 00:47:38 UTC 2007

spike wrote:

> I spoke to my propulsion guy today who said a wobble like that can get the
> fuel sloshing around the outside of the tank such that the bird runs out of
> fuel with some still in the tank.  A sophisticated rocket can deal with that
> level of roll, but this one probably didn't have the high end fuel slosh
> scavenging equipment.  {8-[  Damn.

Yes, fuel slosh issues are one popular theory right now in the armchair
rocketeer forums. Also it appears the first stage actually touched/hit the 2nd
stage nozzle at stage sep, so something was off there that will have to be
looked at. Another theory is a stuck cold gas thruster on the second stage which
might have caused both above issues.

SpaceX should have plenty enough data to figure this out quick, and so far they
are sticking with doing their first real commercial launch at the end of the
summer, with another to follow in the fall.

Here's a youtube video of it all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE4HkniM3Vc
--
Brian Atkins