[extropy-chat] something rather than nothing

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 23 20:38:46 UTC 2007

--- Jef Allbright <jef at jefallbright.net> wrote:
> All observations suggest that structures evolve to
> exploit
> increasingly complex symmetries such that global
> entropy accelerates.
> This hints at the principle more fundamental than
> Darwinian
> variation-selection-replication mentioned yesterday.

Yes, Jef. While I respect many of Stephen Gould's
ideas on evolution, he is clearly wrong in his
assertion that complexity and intelligence are
"accidental". I too am a biologist and I see extropy
as hardwired into the universal evolution. The degrees
of freedom and dimensionality of the universe
increases as a function of time as the result of the
increasing overall entropy. It is this increasing
dimensionality that allows for open systems within the
universe to iteratively achieve ever increasing
complexity- just like an Mandelbrot set. Stephen
Wolfram thinks similarly although I am not sure it is
for the same reasons.

Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"Nature which governs the whole will soon change all things which thou seest, and out of their substance will make other things, and again other things from the substance of them, in order that the world may be ever new." -Marcus Aurelius, Philosopher and Emperor of Rome.