[extropy-chat] something rather than nothing

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 04:08:29 UTC 2007

On 3/23/07, A B <austriaaugust at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Mike,
> I wonder if it can be proven theoretically that our
> Universe didn't start at "the very beginning" by
> showing that our Universe isn't infinite. I'm just
> spit-balling ideas here without any evidence, but,
> what the hell? It's fun.
>
> Infinite Lifespan / 2 = Infinite apparent age

I imagine you'll like this application of the countably infinite

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilbert's_paradox_of_the_Grand_Hotel

I wonder if it can be proven (or even agreed possible) that the
universe hasn't even started yet - and that we're still gaining
activation potential for the next "Real" something to take place.

I searched google for some reference to a visualization I once read
about the world of illusion (samsara) being created each time Atman(1)
opens his eyes to look, then for a time there is only the
contemplation of what was seen.  If there is such belief in the
reality of Atman it is only a character in the transient dreams of
Brahman(2)

(1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atman_%28Buddhism%29
(2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahman
(*) don't discount the potential for new thought just because these
ideas seem religious/buddhist - it's just a cool visualization (imho)