[extropy-chat] Fragmentation of computations

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 09:24:40 UTC 2007

On 3/28/07, Lee Corbin wrote:
> To pick a nit, by "having an experience", I think most of us would
> mean simply being conscious (as someone said), and this can
> happen without stimulation from outside the system.

To pick a bigger nit, I understood that the sensory deprivaton
experiments showed that a human brain without stimulation rapidly
descends into chaos that can hardly be called consciousness.

I suspect also that as the stimulation from outside is what causes
brain pathways to grow and change, that over time there would be
severe physical changes in the brain.

Some researchers go so far as to phrase the claim that without an
outside world to communicate with, the human brain cannot exist.

BillK