[extropy-chat] Back to Causes of War

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Wed May 2 00:45:04 UTC 2007

At 06:34 AM 4/28/2007 -0700, Lee wrote:
>Keith writes in a reply to BillK

snip

> > No.  And there should be evidence.  You should see a drop in wars after a
> > major plagues because the drop in population should make for a brighter
> > (less economically stressed) future for those who are left.
>
>I will try to check it out. Well documented causes exist for the
>wars between England and France that broke out in the 1300s.
>The plague came later (1346) but I don't think slowed the war
>any except for a bit of financial exhaustion among the rulers.
>The 15th century was still very war-prone in Europe.

One of the things you need to keep in mind is how fast the population
rebounded.  The Black Death killed about 25% of the European population at
the time.  As a guess the dip recovered in a generation or so since humans
have the ability to double (or more) per generation.

Hungary recovered in less than 50 years from 25% of their population being
killed in wars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Muhi

Keith