[extropy-chat] What's the Greatest Innovation?

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at comcast.net
Wed May 2 00:53:09 UTC 2007

Damien Broderick wrote:
> I like Frank Wilczek's reply:
>
> The greatest innovation in physics, and I think in all of science,
> was the discovery that important behaviour of natural objects can be
> described with mathematical precision.
Yes, I really like this too, as long as you add "The greatest innovation
in all of science" TO DATE.

And as I'm always claiming, I believe we are on the verge of the
scientific achievement that will surpass this one.

True, mathematics can powerfully represent the behavior of the
universe.  And it can also represent or model its phenomenal qualities
(i.e. 0=green, 1=red).  But obviously such abstract modeling in no way
captures what is really important about red, green, and the difference
between them and all the other phenomenal (spiritual, if you will)
properties our brain uses to represent our phenomenal conscious knowledge.

Once we scientifically finally pierce this spiritual veil and start
effing and sharing these ineffable properties, we will finally be able
to alter the universe, starting with the expansion of our brain, in such
a way that our spirits (our phenomenal knowledge of ourselves, that has
no referent in reality.) will finally break out of these mortal spirit
prison walls that is our skull.  No longer will the rest of the universe
be ineffable because our abstract mathematical representation will
finally be grounded in truly phenomenal scientifically demonstrable reality.

Any such scientific achievement will have a way more dramatic effect on
the world than anything else TO DATE don't you think?

Brent Allsop