[ExI] Changing Other Poster's Minds

Stirling Westrup sti at pooq.com
Thu May 3 04:33:00 UTC 2007

spike wrote:
> After thinking about this for years, long after realizing that the religion
> I knew was not true, I finally realized that it matters to me if my religion
> is true.  I love true things.  Religion should be treated as any scientific
> theory.  In that sense, altho I am now an atheist, I still have the
> fundamentalist's outlook, ja?

This jives very well with my own outlook. When I posted earlier that I am one
who is willing to be proven wrong in an argument, I began to wonder why I was
different. I think it stems from a determination at a very young age that I
want what I believe to be true. Not, mind you, that I want to falsely believe
that I am right. I took the motto "Truth, at any cost." and have pretty much
stuck to it. If someone proves me wrong in a debate, he had done me a service,
and I tend to look at it that way.