[ExI] [extropy-chat] Changing Other Poster's Minds

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Fri May 4 04:32:59 UTC 2007

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Fred C. Moulton
> Subject: Re: [ExI] [extropy-chat] Changing Other Poster's Minds
>
> On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 20:06 -0700, spike wrote:
> > ... altho I am now an atheist, I still have the
> > fundamentalist's outlook, ja?
> >

> Spike
>
> Interesting points.   Given the history of the term "fundamentalist" I
> prefer to restrict my usage of it.  This I use the term for referring to
> fundamentalists in the sense of religious faith and try to use other
> terms to refer to the persons who are deeply and critically interested
> in the accuracy and validity of ideas but who do not have faith.  Of
> course coming up with the other terms is not a simple matter.
>
> Fred

Fred, something I left out of my post is that religion for me was an
extremely positive experience.  I cannot even think of a negative part of
it.  The family aspects of religion, my friends, the music, the scholarly
aspects, all of it was good to me, more positive for me than for anyone else
I know.  I loved my church and my church life.  My friends and acquaintances
were absolutely astounded that I could ever give it up, thought I had gone
insane.  I had gone sane however.  I had no choice: I realized I could not
control what I believe, and I no longer believed the doctrine to be true.
True matters more than happy.  So, into the old bit bucket with it, all of
it.  I miss it to this day I confess.  But truth makes me happy too, even
the grim truth of our temporary nature in a vast uncaring universe.