[ExI] Fundamentalism and a Scientific Outlook

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Fri May 4 06:05:30 UTC 2007

On May 3, 2007, at 8:41 PM, Lee Corbin wrote:

> Russell Wallace writes
>
>> On 5/3/07, Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com> wrote:
>>> How about Santa Claus?  Do you really think that there is a fact
>>> of the
>>> matter regarding an individual who lives at the north pole and
>>> arranges
>>> for gifts to somewhat magically be delivered on Christmas day to
>>> deserving children around the world?
>>
>> There are various sources of data that entitle me to claim there is a
>> fact of the matter in this case, such as the observed absence of
>> Santa's
>> workshop at the geographical north pole. This would be equivalent to
>> the example I gave about the absence of gods on top of Mount Olympus.
>
> And what about my examples of golden tablets from Moroni, Muhummad
> rising to heaven on a winged horse, virgin births, the whole lot?
>
> But maybe you'd rather skip that, which would be okay, and cut to the
> chase here, for you, which seems to be
>
>> And my question stands: do you not agree that he who sets out to
>> destroy something vital, should first have a viable replacement
>> ready?
>
> Yes and no.  I concur that the west has perhaps committed suicide
> by abadoning its religion. But the source of its strength---open
> inquiry
> also perhaps laid the seeds of its ruin.

The Enlightenment needs to complete its work.  It was not to blame
per se for what ills we have along with our many gains from more
"religious" times.    This country was not designed to be a Christian
nation no matter how many revisionists claim that it was.  The
Christian political forces in this country are incredibly regressive
and strengthening them would make this country much worse than it is.

- samantha