[ExI] Bandwidth of Information Gleaning

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Fri May 4 19:54:16 UTC 2007

On 5/4/07, Anne Corwin <sparkle_robot at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Lee said:
> "Did anyone else experience my frustration? On the other hand, are
> there testimonials as to the effectiveness of said presentation?"
>
> There are, though, good and bad ways to use multimedia, and there are
> contexts in which animation can be used to further understanding (e.g., if I
> were learning about fluid dynamics, it would be helpful to watch an

It may be a generational thing.  I heard this same argument about the
difference between radio broadcast and television entertainment.  The
person I was speaking with was reminiscing about how vivid their
imagination was to fill in the details of the radio broadcast, and
that TV has robbed us of the opportunity to be mentally creative in
our imagination.  I suppose the same was said about radio vs. reading
a book.  Taken to the opposite extreme, we could extrapolate to a more
compressed symbol delivery than current multimedia.  While it might
allow for a greater "width" of information, I doubt those of us alive
today will consider it has the same "depth."