[ExI] Bandwidth of Information Gleaning

nvitamore at austin.rr.com nvitamore at austin.rr.com
Fri May 4 21:51:12 UTC 2007

From: Jef Allbright

> I found it very slow paced. Now, I myself happen to be able---under
> some conditions---to absorb knowledge via straightforward, old-
> fashioned, outmoded, linear text. I am afraid that music and animation
> for the most part add nothing to my learning.

Add nothing?  Well, I suppose there is indeed truth to unique differences
in learning styles. Visuals have always added to my learning, and in great
part.

>Moreover, they can in
> some cases, such as in the above flash animation, actually *decrease*
> knowledge acquisition and comprehension per unit of time expended.

I do agree with this. But flash is often used as a marketing/advertising
concept and not particularilyy applied to learning formats. This was piece
was not flashy in the flash loading and waiting sense.

> Did anyone else experience my frustration?  On the other hand, are
> there testimonials as to the effectiveness of said presentation?

No. I thought it had a certain charm.  If anything it could have been
shorter, but one-half perhaps.

"It depends very much on the nature of the audience.  For me there are
very few joys greater than integrating new knowledge, the more widely
applicable in principle the better, succinctly written.  Such writing
is like poetry to me, each word performing its intended function
within a structure elegant at multiple levels.  I imagine a
near-optimum format of intertwingled hypertext with link emphasis
corresponding to awareness of the reader's background (take a quiz
before reading, remember the results for a future context?)"

Yes, nice.

"I find that nearly all television is too inefficient and distracting
with its multitude of hooks to the lowest levels of human biases, most
books are so redundantly redundant that I find myself repeatedly
skimming for significant content rather than fully engaged in reading,
and with live lectures or classroom-style training I often find more
of interest in the audience interactions than in the primary content."

Yes. Me 2.

Just as an aside, like PJ, I listen to Eminem ... "lose yourself ..." uhmum
yaah.

Natasha

http://link.mail2web.com/mail2web