[ExI] The void left by deleting religion

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Fri May 4 23:42:02 UTC 2007

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Max More
> Subject: Re: [ExI] The void left by deleting religion
>
> A question for those, like spike, who found religion to be "an
> extremely positive experience"--especially those of a Fundamentalist
> belief system: Did you take seriously the idea of Hell as a place of
> eternal torment and damnation?  Max

Hi Max,

Not in my case, because Seventh Day Adventist doesn't have that doctrine.
Perhaps that sect's designers in the 1840s sat down and asked themselves
what is the most egregious doctrine in all of christianity.  To anyone with
even a modicum of ethical intuition, that one should top the list, the bit
about god tormenting for eternity anyone who misbehaves for a short human
lifetime.  So they got rid of it.  In that system, those who are wicked just
die in a rain of fire that doesn't last any longer than any flesh mortal
would survive in such a dire sitch.  They are damned for all eternity in
that they stay dead and gone forever; god "opposes their reanimation" to
borrow a phrase from a recent poster.