[ExI] The void left by deleting religion

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sat May 5 03:06:56 UTC 2007

Torstein Haldorsen wrote:
> Jef,
> I am currently a student of computer science and as such i have fairly
> limited real world work experience.
> Still, any one persons skillset is generally not sufficient to
> successfully pull of an entirely category-defying project such as this.
> Although I have had a number of advisors who have provided valuable
> feedback in different areas, I have not been successful in recruiting
> people who have been able to make independent contributions to this
> project, pushing it forward so to speak.
>
> A quick search will reveal the extent to which I have promoted it so
> far, which is really very little.
>
> Now, while I believe this idea is quite profound, and find it
> intellectually pleasing to have a "religion" of my own design, this
> could easily be entirely normal delusions of grandeur. I don't know,
> but i really love this project, I believe in the potential of the
> idea, and i would love to be able to work on it full time, somehow,
> some time in the future.

I have considered such a thing myself rather seriously.  In particular I
despair of enough humans embracing rationality and moving sufficiently
beyond the many roots that religion feeds from to maximize our chances
of survival.  There is an apparent lot of power and appeal in those
memes and psychological complexes.  I thought that if they could be
harnessed toward a more scientific worldview and transhumanist visions
of transformation, immortality and transcendence then we would have much
more of a chance.  The more I looked at this though and the more I
attempted to move forward with it the less I believed it was a good
idea.  You would be fighting an uphill battle against all the other
religions and religious systems out there.  You would be struggling to
create a faith, a very powerful and magnetic meme complex, working
primarily from an intellectual perspective.  Unless you go in for full
prophet and fanatical levels of dedication and devotion to the work you
will not be a very powerful magnetic core for the work.   If you are not
then the work will be picked to death in committee and die a thousand
deaths by multiple agendas.   If you do form something cohesive you run
high dangers of overlooking something critical that makes the result, if
it takes hold, deadly.  At every step of the way you will be tempted to
use language largely owned by vastly different and inimical meme sets
and your message will get lost in the stew of assumption about what you
mean when you use those words.

Increasingly I think that many of the roots that feed religion are
aspects of our EP that we will seriously need to struggle to overcome if
we are to have a viable future.    Our future is in the realm of vision
firmly grounded in science and reality.   Great mystical sci-fi romps
into the future while appealing on some levels don't seem to really have
much traction or much relationship to the work needed personally or
collectively.  I could be wrong but I am  quite discouraged regarding
the viability of this sort of thing.

> Successful marketing and also sales - if you wanna call it that, is
> absolutely essential for any project to succeed, but one needs to have
> a marketable "package" first. And also, I would like such a solution
> to have qualities that are immediately recognizable as superior to
> what's already out there. Just to get there a lot of hard, consistent
> theoretical groundwork is needed.

In this realm a large part of marketing is  inspiration especially of
the highly contagious kind.   Without charisma all the solid theory in
the world will be useless.

> If anyone would like to chip in on the theoretical / planning side
> here, I would be very much appreciate it.
>
> As i said, if anyone can play the devils advocate and successfully
> convince me why it _wont work_ or why I shouldn't go through with it I
> would be grateful also, as I could stop spending a such ridiculous
> amount of time on a maniac project that is exceedingly likely to fail
> at any rate.

I think the few of us who are relatively awake and capable among all the
world's billions are likely to accomplish far more if we see as clearly
as we can where we want to go and build the technological (and perhaps
cultural even political) tools for at least some of us to get there.  I
don't think any scheme to inspire or convert or persuade any large
portion of the masses is going to work at this point.

I rather liked believing that it could though.

- samantha