[ExI] Bandwidth of Information Gleaning

MB mbb386 at main.nc.us
Sat May 5 11:05:12 UTC 2007

> I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. I told my story, how it
> affects me, and I was just *wondering* how alone I was. Yes,
> for all I knew (or know) it is a strictly generational thing; on the
> other hand, perhaps diversity as Anne said.

Frequently I find animations and moving flashing bits of stuff to be distracting.
Many times they seem to add *nothing* to my comprehension of material. In fact, I've
used my hand to cover some flashing thing onscreen while I read text.

That said, huge paragraphs of plain text can get very old as well. I can easily
drown in the words.

>> Why do people well versed in neurology and psychology not
>> understand people learn through different perceptions?  Not
>> all people learn best through text.

A great deal has to do with *what* people are trying to learn, in my experience. I
recall daughter trying to learn some handwork and the confusion that I saw as she
tried to follow the instructions - both text and pictures were bewildering - almost
incomprehensible. But when my daughter could sit *next to* her grandmother and mimic
her hand movements that worked pretty well. Once she knew how, the text and pictures
were *fine*! :))) I do not know how well an animation would have worked, because of
the "mirror movement" reversal.

Regards,
MB