[ExI] POL: DHEA ban

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat May 5 16:29:49 UTC 2007

On 5/5/07, Technotranscendence wrote:
<snip>
> As a general question to you:  Do you see any scope for free choice at
> all in life?  Or does it all come down to whatever the politicians tell
> you is okay?

The general principle I follow is that society should help the weaker
members of society.

The ramifications of that, of course, leads to much complication. And
I don't want to discuss all the differing political systems which
might try to achieve this objective. :)

In the specific case of buying drugs OTC, many people do not have the
knowledge, experience, ability, time or inclination to investigate
every product that might be offered. Even with the present regulatory
system, the drug fraud industry is still huge. Billions of dollars are
involved. For many endeavours, including drug testing, it is more
efficient to have it done by a central organization.

I don't agree with the view sometimes proposed in the more extreme
libertarian circles that the weaker members of society deserve to get
ripped off by the sharper crooks and con-men. (i.e. The attitude that
it's their own fault if they are not as clever as me). Everybody is
weak in some areas and relies on legislation to protect them in some
of their  dealings.

It is certainly frustrating if a general law for the protection of the
clueless forbids you doing something that you are very confident that
you can do perfectly safely. (Over-confidence is a very human failing,
of course. :) ). But if you are that sharp, you can probably find a
way round the law without too much trouble.  ;)

BillK