[ExI] Posthumanism vs. Transhumanism

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun May 6 06:41:11 UTC 2007

At 08:13 AM 5/6/2007 +0200, Giu1i0 Pri5c0 wrote:

>I always had some doubts on "transhumanism" as a marketing buzzword,
>but I like "posthumanism" even less. The term implies a rejection of
>our humanity and a desire to become something else.

True, but you do realize that the Foucauldian
buzz word that overwhelmed pomo thinking was not
just "posthumanist" but "antihumanist"? For all I
know, it might still be the fashionable thing to be in the academe.

(For anyone not sure what I just said,
"Foucauldian" is the adjective from the ideas
advanced by the late Michel Foucault, who
blighted the minds of a couple of generations of
very bright people indeed in the humanities, as
did Louis Althusser, who ended by murdering his
own wife. A bit more follows below, although,
again, it's probably now out of touch with fashion.)

Damien Broderick

=========================

Twenty years after refusing on vaguely anarchist
grounds to take out my Arts degree, I went back
to university to brush up on whatever absurd
doctrines had swept to power in the 1970s and
1980s. What I found in the libraries and
seminars, as I wrote my doctoral dissertation in
discourse theory, was a dazzling assemblage of
brilliant nuance and narrow stupidity. It was
built from a variety of
components­deconstruction, new history,
post-colonial writing, Lacanian psychoanalysis,
women's studies, multiculturalism,
antihumanism--but they shared certain core
strategies. This free-wheeling post-Marxism liked
to `interrogate' hegemonic beliefs, forgetting
that interrogation is usually the privilege of
terrorist regimes. Dubbing itself theory pure and
simple, posthumanist opinion presented as the
basis for all rigorous thought and practice. Yet
its awful language could lead its practitioners
into absurdity. All too often it was dead on the
page and in the mind, and one could only wonder
at the tone-deafness, the lack of rigour, of at least some of its acolytes.
           By and large, antihumanist theory
seeks out `truth effects' produced by `author
functions'. In lesser hands, theory has
franchised a machine for processing splendour and misery into doctrine.
           Within this reigning academic
doctrine, the human person has been unmasked as an ideological imposture.

Kate Soper, in a useful and thorough-going
response to the antihumanist program, makes the same point:

           "[U]nless individuals are to be
credited with `naturally' possessing the
capacities enabling them to recognize that which
will constitute them as `subjects' (a position
ruled out by Althusser's rejection of a humanist
epistemology), then the subject is already
presupposed to its formation, and Althusser's
argument is circular. Subjects, he says,
recognize themselves in ideology. But who does
the recognizing if not the subject as conceived in humanism?"

           It is important, in my view, that we
retain a clear acknowledgement that beneath all
the powerful programming and intersocial
construction of each human subjectivity in every
culture, there is in some sort a `human nature'
constrained by our evolutionary history which
makes that process possible. At no time, even at
birth, is the human infant correctly described,
as Althusser does, as `this small animal­which
only becomes human-sexual by crossing the
infinite divide that separates life from
humanity, the biological from the historical,
"nature" from "culture" ' (Althusser, 1984).
           I am not arguing for a coarse `human
engineering' postulate, but for a more nuanced
use of the concept `human nature'. Victor
Jeleniewski Seidler puts the objection to
Althusserian global anti-essentialism well:

           "We can recognise the historical
character of human qualities and needs and so
recognise the competitive, individualistic,
ego-centred `natures' that we grow up to accept
as `normal', without concluding that `human
nature' is simply a `product' of a particular
mode of production. This would be to see people
as passive objects, who are produced within a
particular mode of production. It would be to
share a misconception with much social theory
which tends to deny, in different ways, the
sources of resistance to the prevailing mode of
determination and control, by assuming that
people are `fitted' to a particular mode of
production. This is to take up a fundamentally
instrumental attitude towards people...."

           Posthumanist Marxism, as an
interventionist political position, tends toward
internal incoherence on this score. Post-Marxism
tends toward the same failing. Consider
Macdonell's odd account of the 1968 student/worker rebellion in France:

           "Instead of following the Marxist line
that the masses make history, the
[humanist-infiltrated] PCF line in 1968 was that
the Party in the person of its leaders and
`experts' makes history. Inflexible,
underestimating the masses, the PCF acted to
separate rather than weld together [oppositional] forces."

           Macdonell's account hangs on a simple
internal contradiction, as follows: the party
erred because (A) it wrongly supposed `leaders'
rather than masses are responsible for making
history, and (not-A) its `leaders' misled the
masses. This logical inconsistency (it is not a
`dialectical' insight) is bound to reappear
within any antihumanist position. Indeed, pushed
to its conclusion it vitiates the political will
of both `leaders' and `masses'. Soper observes:

           "The real problem lies not in the
assertion of the structured nature of experience,
but in the conceptualisation of individuals as no
more than social `effects'. For if we play no
part in the formation of the structures that
dominate us, what sense is there in trying to
alter them? If, moreover, the experience of
individual men and women is viewed as inessential
to their existence, then the category of the
`concrete individual' ceases to have any
reference to human beings; within the confines of
such a theory, one can no longer speak of
individuals as `dominated' by social structures
or in need of `liberation' from them, since they
are not thought of as beings with `interests' to be affected."

           Oddly, Soper here blunts her own
thrust. Finding Althusser's case weak on
rhetorical grounds, she laments that `to convince
workers of their impotence scarcely seems the
best way of persuading them to participate in
collective action'. Yet an obvious objection to
Althusser is that to make any `appeal to the
workers' requires one to recognise and depend
upon their individual openness to persuasion,
their need to be convinced (perhaps by actions as well as words). [etc]