[ExI] Posthumanism vs. Transhumanism

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sun May 6 08:20:02 UTC 2007

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 wrote:
> I always had some doubts on "transhumanism" as a marketing buzzword,
> but I like "posthumanism" even less. The term implies a rejection of
> our humanity and a desire to become something else.
>
> What we want to become is clear to us: we want to remain more or less
> ourselves but move to much better bodies and much smarter minds. But
> for our opponents it is easy to construct "posthuman" as eliminating
> tender and loving humans and replacing them with cold and heartless
> machines.
>
> If and when I will be a computational superintelligence roaming the
> galactic web, I will still be a human in better shape and with some
> more toys to play with.

I don't see how you can say that with such apparent confidence.  You
most likely will not find a normal human body form at all useful for
roaming the galactic web and will find it a hindrance for many tasks.
You are likely to have understood you EP and reworked your psychology to
be substantially more supporting of your activities which are distinctly
quite different from what EP was bred by an for.  So psychologically you
are very unlikely to have much in common with humans.   With a vastly
increased intelligence including greatly increase concentration upon
likely many tasks in parallel, perfect memory, vastly improved decision
processes and access to huge fully integrated stores of information it
is quite unlikely that you experience of reality including you
experience of yourself will be at all what we think of as human.

So exactly how will you still be a human?   Is it just a matter of how
you plan to chose to label whatever it is that you become?

- samantha