[ExI] POL: DHEA ban

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Mon May 7 11:49:16 UTC 2007

On 06/05/07, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

The general principle I follow is that society should help the weaker
> members of society.
>
> The ramifications of that, of course, leads to much complication. And
> I don't want to discuss all the differing political systems which
> might try to achieve this objective. :)
>
> In the specific case of buying drugs OTC, many people do not have the
> knowledge, experience, ability, time or inclination to investigate
> every product that might be offered. Even with the present regulatory
> system, the drug fraud industry is still huge. Billions of dollars are
> involved. For many endeavours, including drug testing, it is more
> efficient to have it done by a central organization.
>
> I don't agree with the view sometimes proposed in the more extreme
> libertarian circles that the weaker members of society deserve to get
> ripped off by the sharper crooks and con-men. (i.e. The attitude that
> it's their own fault if they are not as clever as me). Everybody is
> weak in some areas and relies on legislation to protect them in some
> of their  dealings.
>
> It is certainly frustrating if a general law for the protection of the
> clueless forbids you doing something that you are very confident that
> you can do perfectly safely. (Over-confidence is a very human failing,
> of course. :) ). But if you are that sharp, you can probably find a
> way round the law without too much trouble.  ;)

People are allowed to do all sorts of stupid things, spend all their money
on stuff they don't need or that doesn't work, and if they are lucky they
might be protected by laws forbidding false advertising or outright fraud.
If you want to ruin yourself gambling on the horses, or kill yourself
drinking and smoking, that's OK by the state. Why should drugs be different?

--
Stathis Papaioannou