[ExI] The void left by deleting religion

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Thu May 10 15:13:10 UTC 2007

On May 6, 2007, at 9:24 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

> On 07/05/07, Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:
>
> I couldn't manage to believe that God would torment people eternally
> for
> one life of not managing to belief "the right stuff" or for being as
> imperfect as the preachers insisted we were created or doomed to be
> from
> birth.   It made no sense and did not square with what my budding
> mysticism led me too either.
>
> It's funny how people assume intimate knowledge of God's
> psychological states, personality, and behavioural predispositions.

True but what does that  have to do with it?  I was being asked to
both imagine such a being and believe that it was all Good and would
do such at the same time.  I had little choice but to do what I could
to imagine it.   Unless of course I just "accepted it on faith" which
for most people means just mouthing the formulas they have had crammed
into them.   I would not believe that the universe was an utter
madhouse run by the most mad being of all.

- samantha