[ExI] A Transhumanist Terrorist Manifesto

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Sun May 13 20:11:34 UTC 2007

Ben writes

> [Kevin wrote]
>
> > I'd rather die now for a cause I'm prepared to stand up for
> > than live on as a someone who had to pretend their way into
> > being something more than human.
>
> And that, my friend, is idiotic.

I really don't understand why that is "idiotic". Some people can
quite reasonably endorse goals that are above and beyond their
own personal survival.  These may be "monkey emotions" as
you say, but a lot of us may wish to keep some subset of our
evolutionarily derived emotions.

Kevin also wrote

> As we spiral down the well into the singularity, unprecedented levels
> of tumult are foreseeable.
> It seems almost preordained that one day certain sections of the
> movement will become anathema to others within the global community;
> religious types stand out as initial likely candidates, but state-sponsored
> policing institutions may well take umbrage also.

These too are entirely reasonable conjectures, and to me seem well
within the realm of possibility. We certainly do have to keep alert and
weigh any signs that possibly radical action may be needed at some
point.

However, it seems to me obviously too presumptuous and reactive to
perceive that conditions are *definitely* going to be so bad that radical
or violent actions should be either undertaken now or even contemplated.

In any case, let's hope that the hopelessly hysterical tone of the so-called
H+ Terrorist Manifesto---whether or not it was a joke---can be left behind,
and avoided altogether in the future.

Lee