[ExI] Whither Individualism?

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Sun May 20 19:07:42 UTC 2007

Oops,  I am afraid that I misunderstood the way that the term "individualism"
is standardly used.  Re-studying the wikipedia page on the subject,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Individualism  I find that there is no section entitled
"psychological individualism" or its equivalent.

My major beef with a lot of contemporary society is a form of behavior
exhibited by many "hyper-individualists" who are routinely tactless and
who seemingly enjoy very much breaking most conventions they know
of.  In other words, they flaunt their "individualism" as they flout all the
usual norms of civilized, polite, thoughtful, considerate behavior.

"Individualism", on the contrary---and as explained in the above article
---seems to refer *only* to man's relationship to society as follows:

"Individualism is a term used to describe a moral, political, or social
outlook that stresses human independence and the importance of
individual self-reliance and liberty. Individualists promote the unrestricted
exercise of individual goals and desires. They oppose most external
interference with an individual's choices."   My apologies for the confusion.

No one that I know of here, including me, is going to have much criticism
of that definition, despite what I consider to be De Tocqueville's mysterious
remarks below.  Hayek, incidentally, mentions De Tocqueville as someone
who understood the difference between "good individualism" and "bad
individualism".

Lee