[ExI] Language Changing Before Our Very Eyes

Sergio M.L. Tarrero sergio.ml.tarrero at mac.com
Tue May 22 12:10:35 UTC 2007

In Spanish we use "su" and "sus" (for plurals) for both possessive
pronouns "his -" and "her -".

However, we do have "él" for both "he" and "him", and "ella" for both
"she" and "her", generally. But we avoid this gender problem in
sentences in which you are using "him" or "her" as an indirect object
(like in the sentence: "(yo) le compré un regalo", which works for
both "I bought him a present" and "I bought her a present").  If it´s
a direct object, you must specify gender (as in "yo la llamé", "I
called her").

When you say something is "his", or "hers", we also have "suyo" and
"suya", or you can also use "de él" or "de ella" here.

Yes, I wish it became standardized in English to use Egan´s neutrals:
"ve", "ver", etc.  I also attempt to avoid the problem in sentence
construction, but I use the feminine when I have to, and don´t give
it any thought (if I remember to - I learnt English using only the
masculine).

--
Sergio M.L. Tarrero