[ExI] Language Changing Before Our Very Eyes

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Tue May 22 22:42:39 UTC 2007

> Jef writes
>
> > On 5/21/07, PJ Manney <pjmanney at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> <sigh>
> >> I don't know why I rise to this bait...
> >
> > Same here.  I must have issues.  ;-)
>
> "Same here"?  Whatever are the two of you on about?  (Just
> want to know.)  Originally I wrote
>
> > > Not so many years ago, that sentence would have read "composed"
> > > instead of "comprised". (I actually think that the above is incorrect,
> > > and that the official and correct use of "comprise" is, for example,
> > > to say that X, Y, and Z comprise W.)  But I also have a sense---
> > > a vague one, to be sure---that the above writer was striving for
> > > precision, and that he may have felt that "compose" was too loose.
> > > And indeed, this use of "comprise" may by now carry a more specific
> > > meaning to some of his readers.
>
> and PJ mentioned the "bait" occuring here somehow.  What exactly
> is that?  Speaking of language "rising to bait" implies that an imposition
> has occurred some way.

Lee, wassup with the 'tude, dude?  I seen ur post and thought the
topic was totally sick, okay, and i might of replied but irregardless
i didnt cause i'm like real busy right now?  Then i seen pj's reply
and thought it was totally sick too, and then i just took the bait and
was hooked, you know?

chill,

- Jef