[ExI] how would Transhumanists cope, if the Singularity did nothappen in their lifetime?

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed May 23 00:04:08 UTC 2007

At 09:20 AM 5/23/2007 +1000, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

>On 23/05/07, John K Clark <<mailto:jonkc at att.net>jonkc at att.net> wrote:
>
>And Malthus did not even mention another technological invention much less
>its improvements, birth control.
>

>He couldn't predict stuff that hadn't happened yet. That's the
>problem with prediction.

Neither of these claims is correct, iirc. Of course Malthus knew
about artificial contraception; I seem to recall that he regarded it
as a moral crime, and explicitly rejected it as a solution to the
problem he projected, but as Encyc. Brit. notes he "recommended late
marriage and sexual abstinence as methods of birth control". No time
to go hunting cites.

Damien Broderick