[ExI] Language Changing Before Our Very Eyes

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Thu May 24 01:24:06 UTC 2007

On 5/23/07, gts <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Absolutely unbelievable, Jef, that you don't realize I was just joking
> around, playing with words in a thread about words. Unbelievable. -gts
>
> On Wed, 23 May 2007 15:47:24 -0400, Jef Allbright <jef at jefallbright.net>
> wrote:

Gordon, sorry if I missed a joke or word play in your post about how
people saying "near-miss" bugs you, but even looking back carefully
now I don't see it.  I get the absurdity of the dialog, but that
seemed intended to strengthen your point, which just seemed "off'.
Are you now saying that such usage of "near-miss" doesn't actually
bother you?

As for my jumping in with "the importance of context", I just hoped
you would "take the bait" and I could try to show you how this same
assumption lead to your difficulty several weeks back with regard to
the dimensions (linear, areal, volumetric) of an "average" cube.

Oh well, it seems my own word play about head butts was on target.

chill,  ;-)

- Jef