[ExI] Unfrendly AI is a mistaken idea.

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Thu May 24 06:02:12 UTC 2007

Mike had written

>> > Likewise, I think [advanced intelligences] will be just as interested in
>> > pouring their consciousness back and forth between different vessels.
>> > It will probably be one of the main activities of both ourselves and these
>> > superintelligences, to explore different sensoria, different powers of
>> > thought, different types of consciousness.  Who wouldn't want to be a
>> > cat for a day?

and explains

> I wouldn't want to exist ONLY as a cat, but in the interest of novel
> runtime experience, I'd spawn a process to exist as a cat with the
> expectation that it would merge again to increase my perspective on
> various states of being.

Well, when I can spawn a process, I'll want it to be totally me  :-)
No accounting for taste.

>  Maybe the observation of the limited resource/awareness state of
> being a cat were amusing to the main process such that the cat
> were run on successive occasions - as an object lesson involving
> the exchange of a large experiential context "on being an animal"
> for example.

Sure, people are always after novel experiences.

> My opinion is that "advanced human" and the AI of this discussion will
> likely be so interconnected that it won't be realistic to discuss
> terms like Us vs Them.  Humans currently have enough difficulty
> drawing meaningful lines between groups - how much harder will it be
> when our population has increased dramatically in number and diversity?

Perhaps there *will* be an increase in diversity, but perhaps not.
Right now, humans seem to be busily turning the Earth molecules
into more humans (or at least that's what I hope they continue
doing), and having fewer, say, cows and pigs.  From the POV of
another species, humans look all alike.  It may be that from our
point of view today, all AIs who dominate the Solar System will
look alike.

The very interesting parameter that you had identified in your earlier
email was the notion that there could be many intermediaries between
the most advanced AIs and ourselves. I have imagined that were the
resources really available to me, there'd soon exist a whole
sequence of Lees:  from Lee0 (that's who's typing) to Lee2 that might
have an IQ of 200, all the way through to Lee+, whose job it is to try
to keep up as far as possible with the reigning AIs, even if it means
gradually becoming a non-Lee.

But the earlier scenario is just as plausible:  the harder the AI
takeoff, perhaps the more probable that just there will be only
a sole time,space,&recourse-greedy AI,  who will yet kindly
plop down into a single cubic centimeter in the asteroid belt
all of humanity and all human related info.

Almost by definition, I'll be quite happy even with just that, so
long as I get to keep on living.

Lee