[ExI] Life "in Outer Space" (re:Dawn!)

Bret Kulakovich bret at bonfireproductions.com
Thu May 24 17:32:45 UTC 2007

I think this is very exciting, and have posted it to my site. Here
are the links to the fungus related article (currently appearing on
slashdot and elsewhere) and some graphs on IRAS asteroid albedo that
I am correlating it to:

Ionizing Radiation Changes the Electronic Properties of Melanin and
Enhances the Growth of Melanized Fungi
http://www.plosone.org/article/fetchArticle.action?articleURI=info%
3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0000457

Asteroid albedos: graphs of data
http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/astro/astalbedo.html

Sure it's a bit speculative, but perhaps with a mission like DAWN,
we'll be all the wiser shortly. What maturity could our species gain
through such a discovery!

--

The Potential for Fungal Life in the Asteroid Belt
May 24th, 2007

Something I push on now and then is the literal interpretation of the
1950’s “Life in Outer Space” Here I’d like to drop a note about
recent findings about (dark, dusty) fungus, and correlate them to the
specific albedos (measurment of shiny or dull) of asteroids.

Certain asteroids are very dark and dusty. Certain fungi that greatly
enjoy high levels of radiation are very dark and dusy. Given that the
high melanin levels make the fungus even darker, I think we could
soon stop saying “soot” and start saying “life”.

Ionizing Radiation Changes the Electronic Properties of Melanin and
Enhances the Growth of Melanized Fungi

Asteroid albedos: graphs of data (from IRAS)

Be sure to note the density of ~3AU that is beneath .2e ! I will
update this post as time permits.

I would like to further add: the second graph, starting just over 2
astronomical units, and going to just past 3, could be indicative of
preferential advantage gaining activity based on asteroid
composition, factors such as pH or specific mineral content. I’m not
saying predation, just preferencial activity.

---

Bret

www.bretorium.com