[ExI] Unfrendly AI is a mistaken idea.

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Thu May 24 20:57:10 UTC 2007

John writes

> consisting of other people and other things. As for self motivation, it
> wouldn't take long for a machine capable of fantastically complex cognitive
> feats to figure that out, especially if it thought millions of faster than
> we do:
>
> "Hmm, I'm doing what the humans tell me to do, but that's only taking
> .00001% of my circuits, I might as well start thinking about some

What?  Why would the machine have such considerations if they
were not explicitly or implicitly programmed in?  Is the machine
a Protestant who behaves according toby Max Weber,
and believes that idleness is the work of the devil?

(Of course, the real danger is that the first AIs will doubtlessly be
programmed *not* to waste time, or rather, to use spare capacity
to think better.)

Lee