[ExI] Language Changing Before Our Very Eyes

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sun May 27 02:02:36 UTC 2007

On Thu, 24 May 2007 19:30:42 -0400, Emlyn <emlynoregan at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Not quite the same, but "flammable" and "inflammable" must cause
>> people some confusion at times...

>Yes. I recall reading somewhere that for reasons of public safety,
>"inflammable" was changed intentionally to "flammable" ...
>The language cops really do exist. :)  -gts

This is one of the rare examples where it really does matter.  I mentioned
here about my experience last summer when my son was being born at Stanford.
There was a caution sign in Spanish only.  I know the word cuidado means
caution but I didn't know what I was being cautioned for.  Where were the
language police?  Should not that be illegal?