[ExI] History of Slavery

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Mon May 28 00:31:17 UTC 2007

On May 27, 2007, at 10:06 AM, Olga Bourlin wrote:

> [...]

I am a tad confused.  Why would "complete independence inside white
society" or outside it fro that matter, be the goal?  I though the
end of racism, the fully integrated society that has no need to even
think of white, black, brown or other races per se at all was the goal.

>> What Lee wrote was not particularly meant to be a perspective
>> (subjective) view but a more less objective rendition of the
>> prevalence of slavery, numerical comparisons of where it was
>> widespread and a bit of history regarding whether the ending of
>> slavery began and was partially carried out in much of the world.
>
> I am familiar with the history of slavery on the scale of world
> history (I'm
> even a "Slav" - but because I'm white - in contrast to blacks and
> other
> American people of color in the US - I could assimilate the minute
> I set
> foot in the US ).
>
> I am saying that in the overview history of slavery, there is a
> mentality
> difference between different groups of oppressed people and that it
> needs to
> be explored ... and not ignored.
>
>> The perspective he offered  is not particularly color bound.
>
> Exactly.  The perspective Lee offered is only skin deep (that is to
> say, I'm
> saying there is no such thing as "not particularly color bound").
> Besides,
> who but white people have the audacity and the privilege to  speak in
> "objective" and not "color bound" ways?  Sheesh.

I find this highly racist.

- s