[ExI] Linguistic Markers of Class

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Mon May 28 01:21:44 UTC 2007

gts writes

>  Lee Corbin wrote:
>
>> I am merely describing what I think is the best chance of identifying a
>> person's background or social class (lower, middle, upper).
>
> I understand that, Lee. Seems to me the book you describe might be
> described as a sort manual for pigeon-holing people into the lower, middle
> or upper classes. Am I wrong?

Not really. But then, we just had a huge astronomical hullaballou
(I had to look up the spelling) over what sized pieces of rock
orbiting the sun should be pigeon-holed as "planets".  Perhaps
you think that that was a waste of time as well  (I'm sure that some
perceptive folks do).  But I don't.

Categorizing is a common and necessary activity of intelligent
organisms. In any phenomenon where true clumping occurs,
then to some extent pigeon-holing is called for. I believe that
*social class* is such, and is objectively true, much in the way
that certain big rocks circling the sun really are in their own class
and need to be recognized as such.

(I only regret that Fussell's 1983 book is a bit dated, and---for
the west coast---already out of date. Someone should try an
update, though as with everything else, increasing diversity is
wrecking the simpler structures.  I'm glad that at least the planets
are not constantly reorganizing.)

> having been to so many places and met so many people I find
> that idea at least mildly repugnant.

To me, it can hardly be repugnant, but I'll admit that it is unfortunate
if it causes some people to start feeling superior, or others to start
feeling inferior.  Now maybe it's human nature for the merchants
to feel naturally respectful towards the brahmins, and for the
untouchables to feel inferior to everyone.  But I'm pretty egalitarian
and think that everyone should be given the same break no matter
what their background, rich or poor, upper or lower class. I know
some rich people who want to have a lot more to do with me than
I do with them, and I've been snubbed by poor people. All to the
good, I guess.

However, yes, it's probably true that I am disgusted by *more*
of the characteristic markers of lower classes than I am of upper
classes, but it's probably not by much. As I read Fussell's book
amid the laughter I could not help but be disdainful towards
certain middle-class characteristics, certain upper-class ones,
and certain lower-class ones. Nonetheless, what is true must
be embraced and never denied.

> But, in any case, getting back into the spirit you intended for this
> thread <smile> here is an example of a "linguistic marker of class" that I
> have encountered in my travels:
>
> I once met and dated a pretty gal from the south...
> Among other things she used the word "knowed" to mean "knew", as in "I
> knowed you wanted to talk to me tonight, so I called you." Argh! :)
>
> She was a sweetie-pie, but me being an extropian and all, with knowledge
> of something close to proper English and a reputation to keep, eventually
> I had to face the fact that we just weren't right for each other.

Elitist pig!

Lee