[ExI] Unfriendly AI is a mistaken idea

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Mon May 28 05:46:55 UTC 2007

Part of what I wrote on another list (which started with some
thoughts on an AGI self improving theorem prover) today may clarify
my position further:

"Today we have no real idea how to build a working AGI.  We have
theories, some of which seem to people that have studied such things
plausible or at least not obviously flawed - at least to a few of the
qualified people.  But we don't have anything working that looks
remotely close.  We don't have any software system that self-improves
in really interesting ways except perhaps for some very, very
constrained genetic programming domains.    Nada.    We don't have
anything that can pick concepts out of the literature at large and
integrate them.

To think that a machine that is a glorified theorem prover is going
to spontaneously extrapolate all the ways it might get better and
spontaneously sprout perfect general concept extraction and learning
algorithms and spontaneously come to understand software and hardware
in depth and develop a will to be better greater than all other
consideration whatsoever but without ever in its self-improvement
questioning that will/goal and somehow get or be given all the
resources needed to eventually convert everything to highly efficient
computational matrix is utterly and completely bizarre when you think
about it.   It is far more unlikely than gray goo.

Can we stop wasting very valuable time and brains on protecting
against the most unlikely of possibilities and get on with actually
increasing intelligence on this poor besotted rock?"

This is similar to what Russell says I guess except I am far less
pessimistic about the possibility of strong AI in the near term than
he.   However I don't believe that we can control the consequences of
its arrival with respect to human well being hardly at all.  So why
am I so interested in AI?   Because I believe that without a drastic
increase in intelligence on this planet that we have little hope at
all of surviving to see the 22nd century.   Hopefully much of that
intelligence can come from Intelligence Augmentation of humans and
groups of humans.  But that has its own dangers.

So yes unfriendly AI is a concern but I consider lack of sufficient
intelligence (and yes, wisdom) to be be a far greater and more
pressing concern.

- samantha